As your trusted independent agency in Lansing, MI, we are committed to ensuring your safety and protecting your property. With a severe thunderstorm watch in effect, there is a possibility of a hail storm heading our way. Hail storms can cause significant damage to homes, vehicles, and other property. Therefore, we want to provide you with some essential tips to consider to safeguard your belongings during such weather events.
1. Stay Informed: Keep an eye on weather updates and forecasts provided by local authorities and news outlets. Stay informed about the storm's track, intensity, and possible arrival time in your area. Being aware of the situation will give you ample time to prepare.
2. Secure Outdoor Belongings: Strong winds accompanying hail storms can turn loose items into projectiles, causing damage to your property. Ensure that outdoor furniture, planters, and any other loose objects are securely stored or anchored to the ground.
3. Park Vehicles in a Garage: Whenever possible, park your vehicles in a garage or carport to protect them from hail damage. If you don't have access to a covered area, try to find a sheltered spot away from trees or other structures that could collapse in heavy winds.
4. Close Windows and Doors: Before the storm arrives, close all windows and doors to minimize the risk of hail entering your home. Secure any pet doors or cat flaps to prevent hail from getting inside.
5. Use Storm Shutters or Thick Blankets: If you have storm shutters, use them to protect your windows from hail impact. Alternatively, you can cover your windows with thick blankets, mattresses, or plywood to reduce the chances of shattered glass.
6. Stay Indoors and Seek Shelter: During the hail storm, stay indoors and avoid going outside until it has completely passed. Seek shelter in a basement or an interior room on the lowest level of your home. Avoid areas with skylights or large glass surfaces.
7. Unplug Electronic Devices: To prevent damage from power surges, unplug electronic devices and appliances during the storm. Lightning strikes can cause electrical surges that might damage your electronics.
8. Document Damages for Insurance Purposes: In the unfortunate event that your property sustains hail damage, document the destruction with photographs or videos. This documentation will be essential when filing an insurance claim.
9. Be Cautious After the Storm: After the storm has passed, exercise caution when inspecting your property for damage. Watch out for downed power lines, broken glass, and other hazards.
10. Contact Your Insurance Provider: If your property has been damaged during the hail storm, contact your insurance provider as soon as possible to start the claims process. Our agency is here to assist you in navigating the process and ensuring you get the support you need.
At Rathbun Insurance, your safety and security are our top priorities. We hope that these tips will help you protect your property during the hail storm. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.
Stay safe and take care.